Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm f/4 ZA OSS Overview
Covering both wide landscapes and tight portraits, the Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm f/4 ZA OSS Lens from Sony is a great all-around choice for APS-C-format E-mount cameras. It offers a very versatile 24-105mm equivalent zoom range and even features a constant f/4 aperture for consistent performance. Also, through the use of one extra-low dispersion element, one Advanced Aspherical, and three aspherical elements, users will enjoy sharp, aberration-free imagery. Furthermore, the lens benefits from Zeiss’ T* anti-reflective coating to effectively eliminate ghosting and flare.
For fast, silent autofocus, the 16-70mm is equipped with a linear motor and uses an internal focus design. It also has Optical SteadyShot image stabilization to reduce the effects of camera shake, especially at longer focal lengths. Additionally, the lens can focus as close as 13.8″ and it has a seven-blade circular diaphragm for smooth bokeh.
- Based on the Zeiss Tessar optical concept, this lens uses a design with 16 elements in 12 groups that helps ensure a smaller overall lens size along with reduced flaring, distortion, and chromatic aberrations.
- A versatile mid-range zoom for APS-C-format E-mount cameras, this 16-70mm lens provides a wide-angle to short telephoto 24-105mm equivalent focal length that works for anything from vast landscapes to tight portraits to distant subjects.
- A constant f/4 maximum aperture offers consistent performance throughout the zoom range and also lends greater control over focus position for shallow depth of field techniques.
- Zeiss T* anti-reflective coatings have been applied to each lens surface to help minimize reflections in order to provide greater image clarity, contrast, and color fidelity.
- One extra-low dispersion glass element is featured in the lens design to help reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for improved clarity and color neutrality.
- Four aspherical elements, including one Advanced Aspherical (AA), are incorporated in the lens design to reduce astigmatism, field curvature, coma, and other monochromatic aberrations.
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper imagery when shooting handheld with slower shutter speeds. This stabilization system can also be combined with select camera’s sensor-shift type image stabilization for more effective control of camera blur.
- A linear autofocus motor and internal focus design provide quick and precise autofocus performance and enables accurate and silent focusing while recording videos.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.