Sony E 10-20mm f/4 PZ G Overview
Built with vlogging in mind, this lens’s key attributes relate to video recording performance, ease of use, and a highly versatile design:
- Electronically controlled internal Power Zoom mechanism enables making smooth zooms during takes, with control possible via the lens body, using either the zoom lever or the zoom ring, or from select camera bodies.
- Internal zoom and internal focus design maintains the overall lens length during operation and also helps to reduce any shifts to the lens’s center of gravity for better performance when mounted to a handheld gimbal.
- Linear AF system is especially quiet and smooth and also supports Linear Response MF for natural manual focusing control.
- Smooth Motion Optics (SMO) suppresses focus breathing to help maintain compositional accuracy when changing focus. This lens is also compatible with the Breathing Compensation function in select Alpha cameras.
- Three aspherical elements help achieve high sharpness and suppress distortion and spherical aberrations.
- Two ED elements promote greater clarity and color accuracy by reducing chromatic aberrations.
- One ED Aspherical element further contributes to impressive image quality by correcting for a variety of aberrations.
- Circular diaphragm contributes a smooth and natural bokeh quality.
Linear Motor system uses two separate motors to provide quick, quiet, and precise autofocus and tracking performance. This design also contributes to more natural, intuitive Linear Response manual focus control and an AF/MF switch is located on the lens barrel for quick focus mode switching.
- Internal focusing design offers more responsive focusing performance and maintains a consistent overall lens length during operation.
- Suitable for close-up shooting, the minimum focusing distance at the 10mm position is 5.1″ and, at the 20mm position, is 6.7″ with a 0.18x maximum magnification; both of these close-up distances are only possible with manual focus. When using autofocus, the minimum focusing distance is 7.9″ with a 0.14x maximum magnification.
- Impressively lightweight design weighs 6.3 oz and the sleek design measures 2.2″ long; making this lens ideal for everyday handheld use and travel applications.
- Dust- and moisture-resistant design suits working in inclement conditions.
- Both an integrated Power Zoom lever on lens barrel and a dedicated zoom ring can be used for simple focal length adjustment. When used on select Sony cameras, Power Zoom can also be used via on-camera controls.
- With select Alpha cameras, the zoom ring rotation direction can also be adjusted.
- Remote zoom control is also possible via the optional GP-VPT2BT Wireless Shooting Grip or from a linked smartphone.