Sony BURANO CineAlta Digital Cinema Camera Overview
Designed for highly mobile, solo cine-style shooting, the Sony BURANO 8K Digital Cinema Camera offers up to 8.6K video capture in a compact, full-frame form. Unique in-camera stabilization for both E- and PL-mount lenses, Fast Hybrid Autofocus, and an easily adjustable ND filter enhance single-user capture and seamless image matching, making the CineAlta BURANO camera ideal for use as your VENICE B or C camera.
Full-Frame 8.6K CMOS Sensor
- The BURANO camera’s 8.6K CMOS sensor not only matches the VENICE 8K’s exceptional imagery, but it also incorporates Sony’s renowned autofocus technology—a huge boon for single operators when facing fast-paced environments with challenging focus.
- The sensor also offers both full-frame and Super35 modes, enabling you to select from a vast array of lenses to suit a variety of project types.
ARRI PL and Sony E Mounts
- The BURANO is equipped with the same rugged, reliable PL- and E-mount system as the VENICE series, enabling you to select your glass from a huge selection of lenses.
- The PL mount is compatible with all Super35 and full-frame PL lenses in both spherical and anamorphic versions. It also supports Cooke/I technology for frame-by-frame metadata and ZEISS eXtended Data.
- The E-mount supports metadata when using Sony E-mount lenses.
- Available with Sony E-mount lenses, the BURANO camera’s autofocus options include Fast Hybrid AF (phase-detection AF/contrast-detection AF) and Human Eye AF for accurately capturing fast-moving subjects even when you’re operating alone.
- A feature unique to the BURANO is its in-camera image stabilization for both Sony E- and ARRI PL-mount lenses, a first in digital cine-style capture.
- This new PL-mount lens feature provides 3-axis pitch, yaw, and roll stabilization with high, low, and off options. E-mount lenses benefit from 5-axis pitch, yaw, roll, x, and y stabilization with active, standard, and off settings.
Variable ND Filter
- A built-in, electronically variable ND filter enables solo operators to quickly and easily adjust their exposure when faced with changing light levels.
- This dial-type filter ranges from 0.6 to 2.1 ND for a total of seven stops.
- The BURANO’s 8.6K sensor provides a massive 16 stops of dynamic range, producing phenomenal images with very low noise in conditions ranging from almost no light to blazing sunlight.
- It also offers excellent HDR imaging (high dynamic range) with unprecedented freedom when color grading in post-production.
- Dual-base 800/3200 ISOs enable the BURANO to excel at low-light HDR capture.
- Its wide exposure latitude ranges from 6 stops over to 10 stops under 18% middle gray, for a total of 16 stops.
Versatile Frame Rates
- The BURANO supports multiple resolutions and frame rates, including full-frame 8.6K at 30 fps, full-frame cropped 6K at 60 fps, Super35 5.8K, and Super35 cropped 4K at 120 fps.
Up to 8K Recording with Multiple Codec Support
- Support for resolutions ranging from HD to 8.6K enables the BURANO to obtain the highest quality images for all your productions.
- Supported internal recording formats include the new XAVC H, which uses the highly efficient H.265 codec to record 8K files, X-OCN LT for stunning raw images with efficient storage, and both XAVC-I and XAVC-L for UHD 4K and HD.
X-OCN 16-Bit Original Camera Negative
- Ideal for even the most advanced workflows, X-OCN (extended tonal range Original Camera Negative) codecs combine 16-bit precision with moderate bit rates to produce amazing color reproduction using manageable file sizes.
- X-OCN is supported for multiple resolutions and frame rates up to 8.6K 16:9 30 fps.
- The detachable VF/LCD combo functions as both a viewfinder and touchscreen controller for the MURANO.
- A handy Home button replicates the “big six” (FPS, EI, Shutter, ND, Look, and WB) functions that will be familiar to VENICE users.
- Dual media slots on the BURANO enable it to record to CFExpress Type B cards; it also incorporates an SD card slot for utility functions only.
- Sony CFexpress Type B TOUGH Series Memory Cards are now available in 960 and 1920RGB versions.
Interface, Optional Grip
- The BURANO’s advanced interface includes 12G/6G/3G-SDI, 3G-SDI, and HDMI outputs, 3-pin XLR audio Inputs, timecode, genlock, and reference input/outputs, a 1000BASE-T LANC terminal, and built-in, dual-band Wi-Fi.
- The interface also includes a port for linking to the new, separately available GP-VR100 Remote Control Grip.
Lightweight, Compact Form
- Based around a chassis and body made of a magnesium alloy, the impressively robust yet lightweight and compact BURANO is made to withstand the harshest conditions.
- Its ventilation system is completely isolated from the electronics, preventing the ingress of dust, sand, and splashes of water.
- The fan runs silently and can be easily swapped out for a new unit.
In the Box
- Sony BURANO 8K Digital Motion Picture Camera
- PL Mount
- Handle with Viewfinder Arm
- 4 x Handle Mounting Screw
- LCD Monitor
- Viewfinder Loupe
- Viewfinder Mount Adapter
- Circular Shim
- 15 x 1/3 Arc Shim
- E-Mount Cap
- PL-Mount Cap
- Limited 1-Year Manufacturer Warranty